Homeland Security Network Blog
The information source for first responders.
Homeland Security Committee Releases October Terror Threat Snapshot
Washington, D.C. – House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Michael McCaul (R-TX) today released October’s Terror Threat Snapshot, a monthly assessment of the Committee’s continuing effort to highlight the growing threat America, the West, and the world face from ISIS and other Islamist terrorists.
- September 28, 2018: Federal prosecutors announced that they will be seeking the death penalty for Sayfullo Saipov, who conducted the October 31, 2017 vehicle attack on a bike path in New York City that left eight dead.
- September 28, 2018: Dutch police arrested seven individuals for plotting a “large scale event” in the Netherlands. They seized firearms, including AK-47s, small arms, grenades, completed bombs, and bomb-making materials. Three members of the group had previously been convicted of attempting to travel to join ISIS. The group was targeting two locations with the intent of maximizing the number of casualties.
- The U.S. Department of the Treasury designated two individuals as financiers of ISIS. Emraan Ali, a Syrian-based, dual U.S. and Trinidadian national, has been funneling money from Trinidad and Tobago to Syria to support the terrorist organization. Eddie Aleong, also a Trinidadian national, assisted in, sponsored, and provided financial support to ISIS.
- The U.S. Department of State has designated Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM) as a Foreign Terrorist Organization. The Al Qaeda-affiliated group also was designated as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist. JNIM is the self-described official Al Qaeda branch in Mali, and the designations will help isolate the group and cut off funding for their operations.
- British officials have revealed that members of ISIS-Khorasan are in contact with U.K.-based terrorist cells. U.K. Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson stated that the Afghanistan-based arm of ISIS posed a threat to not just the U.K., but also continental Europe.